Sunday, February 27, 2011

LA test - Compromise(Topic)

The Language Arts test was somewhat difficult for me. The topic was on compromise and the example given was Atticus compromising with Scout. In order to continue reading, Scout made compromise with Atticus and must go to school. The example also included Atticus explanation of compromise. Compromise is an agreement reached by mutual concessions. I do really understand the concessions part so I thought compromise was just an agreement where both parties gain something. I found the definition of concession after the test. I checked my dictionary and it says, "The act of conceding" . The conceding here means giving up something. Lucky for me, the essay I wrote seemed to be correct in the sense that the plot was acceptable. I wrote about a story of 2 kingdoms fighting over some tree. The tree had magical power that could increase anybody's intelligence. By the time I finished planning my plot, I had only 40 minutes left to finish the essay. I knew that I was short of time and removed lots of ideas from the essay as I would not be able to finish the essay on time if I wrote them. I wrote essay as fast as I could and made a few mistakes. One of them was "massager pigeon" where I actually meant "messenger pigeon". After Ms Huang marked the paper, it seemed that the problem with my essay lies mainly on my language skills. I made many mistakes such as tense errors, improper sentence structures and expression problems. This was mainly due to the fact that I did not read often and my foundation in English was weak. Ms Huang recommended that the class read detective books. Detective books describe vividly on the story. The setting, characters and actions must be described with many details so the reader can understand the story and deduce who is the criminal. Therefore, I promised myself that I would start reading books on Sherlock Holmes soon. ( hope I can make myself read :-( )

No comments:

Post a Comment